The works comprised the construction of a single storey extension and the alteration and refurbishment of various parts of the existing theatre including associated services and minor external works.
The building was originally built in 1903 and used as a boxing ring and then a gymnasium. It was later converted into a theatre in 1983. Malvern College is keen to keep the character and ‘feel’ of the building enabling them to retain the Theatre’s much loved charm and atmosphere. However, in order to assist their pupils to continue to flourish in the arts and their non-curricular activities, they need to create an environment fit for purpose.
The layout and design of the Theatre did not lend itself well to flexible teaching and had no adequate classroom space. Therefore, the works included:
- New foyer area to create much needed front-of-house space.
- Replacement of seating to allow much greater flexibility.
- New stage/auditorium lighting.
- New technical control room incorporating the latest technology.
- Modern ‘theatre tech’ facilities to give pupils the opportunity to hone backstage skills such as lighting and sound management.
- Review of balcony seating on both sides of the auditorium, possibly allowing for additional seating.
- Creation of additional backstage areas by relocating offices adjacent to the Theatre.
- Redesign of the stage area, allowing for more intimate drama settings/plays in-the-round.
Single Stage Tender